What Do I Do If I Get Hurt at Work?

If you are injured on the job or believe that you have an occupational disease or other condition that is work-related, there are a number of things you should do:

First, immediately report your injury or medical condition to your employer (a supervisor or someone else with authority). This is important because if you do not notify your employer within 21 days of an injury and no later than 120 days after the injury, you may lose your right to receive workers’ compensation benefits.

Second, go to the doctor or, if the injury is serious enough, go to the hospital. When you see the doctor, make sure you tell him or her that you were hurt at work; without a doctor certifying that you cannot work, or that you can only perform a light duty or limited duty job, you will not be able to receive workers’ compensation wage loss/disability benefits.

Third, act promptly and follow your doctor’s directions.

Lastly, keep copies of everything you receive, whether from a doctor, your employer or an insurance company. These records may be very helpful later on.

Most insurance companies pay benefits every other week, although a few pay wage loss benefits weekly. These benefits are not taxable.

If you would like to speak with Dan Siegel, call (610) 446-3457 or send an email, and Dan will respond promptly. All workers’ compensation matters are handled on a contingent fee basis, which means that you never pay a fee unless Dan Siegel gets you benefits or successfully prevents your employer from stopping your benefits. Give Dan Siegel a call at (610) 446-3457 or send an email.